Tuesday, June 18, 2013


June 18, 2013  As I have previously stated – it is the shape and the light falling on a given subject that attracts my eye to capture it.  While I don’t consider myself a nature photographer, I sometimes find the plant life here on the Sonoran Desert a challenge to capture.  The flowering season is short due to the extreme heat.









First I look at how the flower is lit –and then I focus on a key part of it.  Sometimes angle can
be very important  -shooting the flower from the back with the light shining through the pedals can be more dramatic then simply shooting down on it.  Depth of field is important – using a wide aperture allows me the blur out parts of the image that may conflict visually with what I wish the viewer to see.  A tight crop in postproduction can also be a useful tool for isolating visually a section of the flower.  The main thing about capturing the beauty of a flower or for that matter any subject – is to stop and look carefully at your subject and then determine what you see and want others to see.  Then it is your technical skills with choice of lens, angle, focus and light that will allow you to capture your vision and share it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment